Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How to Stock Up on Chicken

Cell Phone Conversation, 12:30 p.m. Saturday:

DOB: OK, I'm at Kroger, what was I supposed to pick up?

QOC (Fending off a crowd of small children with one hand): Um . . . we need to get chicken to take to your uncle's for the barbecue on Monday. Leg quarters.

DOB: What kind is that? You mean like I get at Aldi's?

QOC: Well, sort of. Like you used to get. (More fending.)

DOB: OK.

Dining Room Conversation, 1:00 p.m. Saturday:

QOC: This isn't chicken leg quarters, it's chicken tenderloins.

DOB: That was all they had in the chicken section.

QOC: You were looking in the wrong section. You should have looked in the butcher section, not the frozen section.

DOB: You didn't say that. It's what they had.

QOC: Well, this won't work. Everybody else's meat will have bones in it, and this will cook up too fast. We have to have leg quarters. It's ok, though, I'm sure we can use this another time.

Cell phone conversation, 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

DOB: OK, I'm back at Kroger. I've looked all through the butcher section. They don't have any leg quarters left today; they're all sold out already.

QOC: Well, ask them if they can cut a chicken in half or something.

DOB: OK.

DOB returns with a chicken cut in half.

Cell phone conversation, 9:30 p.m. Saturday


DOB's Mother: Oh, I wanted to let you know not to worry about the chicken for Monday; I picked up some for you guys while I was buying ours.

QOC (aside): Oh, shoot, I forgot to ask her if she was going to get some for us like she usually does.

DOB: *headdesk*

4 comments:

Darren said...

I am so with DOB on this one!

Aaron K said...

This is AWESOME. This never happens in my marriage either. ;)

(In fairness, when it does happen, it's usually the other way around. My wife is a very patient woman.)

Steve said...

And yet, somehow, things turned out alright. Or even better than that.

Anonymous said...

lol, I keep returning back to this post for a laugh :) Thanks for the giggles!