Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Grammar Commando Visits

Actually I shouldn't really be the Grammar Commando, because I'm really not that picky about grammar as long as you say what you mean to say. (I'm all in favor of splitting infinitives and dangling prepositions like fish bait.) It's the unintentionally humorous misspellings that get me.

Like this one: "I will email you privetly."

THIS is privet:


I guess a "privet" email would be like the little hedge postbox in Little Women.

An email sent to an individual rather than a list would be a private email.

2 comments:

Diary of an Autodidact said...

I too have a thing about humorous mispellings - and this is a good one. I also am opinionated about privets. I believe they are far more handsome if allowed to sprawl just a little. The perfectly geometrical look works at Disneyland, but privets can be so graceful if trimmed with a lighter hand.

Also of note: Infinitives can be split in English - it's perfectly do so, as long as you do it carefully. To purposefully split one can be quite effective.
Likewise with the use of prepositions. When an overzealous editor attempted to correct him, Winston Churchill is reported to have written back, "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Carrie said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok. I do not claim to be grammatically correct (thank you for tolerating me) but spelling is something I DO think should be paid attention to. This is hilarious!